Christmas 2011. Revelation.

Joe spent hours on Christmas Eve watching Noradsanta.org track Santa across the world.
The magic for him this year was prime. He was enthralled with getting everything perfect for Santa.
This boy's heart is pure kindness and love.
He made sure we had the alarm turned off, the door unlocked and a no smoking sign put up.
He begged to sleep on the couch so he could wake up if he heard Santa. He wanted to talk to him soo badly. We said of course, yes! He was up until midnight. Every time I snuck out to check on him he would spring up and look around, once even yelling, "SANTA? Is that you!?"
Santa was a sneaky guy though. He pounded down the 4 cookies left by the children and the glass of warm milk. Sam wanted us to leave him an even dozen.
"Gotta keep him fat for next year."
The kids were thrilled to find foot print made by the big man but Joe was disappointed to find Santa hadn't warmed himself with a blanket that was set out for him. I reassured him he would have, had he noticed it.
003


The kids picked gifts out for each other.
I think they were loved most by the recipients above "santa" gifts. We only bought the kids about 4 gifts each. None of them were "blow your mind gifts". Most of them were from the dollar store or the discount section of the book store.


020


028


035


Break my heart. These children... I have no idea where they came from. They were all so sweet, so loving, so polite. So excited about getting a sheet of stickers or a new coloring book.


040


Baby Roo put her new rolling skills to work "chasing" after Lulu and trying to share her toys. Lucy would lovingly get her a different toy and move to a new spot. Iris would roll right after her.
As you can tell by the picture below, she soon abandoned all this rolling and was comatose the rest of the morning. My little Roo is not used to physical exercise.


058


The girls received baby dolls from Jerry's mom and sister. They absolutely love them.
I felt so blessed and so loved by so many people. We had gifts given to the kids by family and friends. A little gift can go a long way.


068


Joe received a briefcase for going to work. He immediately said, "Oh this is perfect for carrying my papers and pencils. We are going to have a bag contest to see who's was the best and I wasn't going to have one. I thought I was going to have to bring my lunch box."
My sweet boy.083


Sam was very excited to receive a bible. Perfect for putting in his backpack. He exclaimed. "THANK YOU.... santa" He did a very good job not only keeping the Santa secret to himself but also really going along with it.
He cares so much about the happiness of his siblings.


114


We never see this smile. Joe bought her the coloring book; it was one of her favorite gifts!


133


170


During breakfast I read Luke 2 to the kids. They listened very intently and asked some very pertinent questions... such as, "If you arm is cut off does it go to heaven? Will it come back to life at Easter?" and so on. I was able to take a few minutes and explain how the most amazing gift anyone could ever receive is not a Zooble, or pokemon cards or even new markers. It was a baby wrapped in swaddling cloth."


At which point I got a little choked up. I kept reciting the usual, "Christmas is not about things." all season, and yet that wasn't true to me. In my heart all I wanted was the kids to feel loved, to know our love for them and for the kids to feel "Christmas magic"... whatever that is.


Then I heard the song, 'Christmas is Love." By Sara Bareilles.



"Christmas Magic" can happen if you're having Ham and sweet potatoes or if you're having rice and tuna fish.
It'll happen if you have 100 gifts or 5 gift.
With, or without Christmas pajamas.


Christmas magic is all about the attitude.
I sure hope I remember this next year. It would save me a lot of time worrying about things.


Just being with my children and my husband is more than I can ask for.


I am so blessed.


"For my eyes have seen Your salvation Which You have prepared before the face of all peoples, A light to bring revelation to the Gentiles, And the glory of Your people Israel.” Luke 2:32


I hope you received all the gifts you wanted. Wether that be a skype time with your brother across the ocean (I did!), some delicious tea cookies from your best friend or time spent with family.

Comments