Thanksgiving 2010 - Making Memories


The scene in our house was beautiful. I wish to high heaven I could share pictures of our beautiful thanksgiving as a family, but my laptop is just not having any of it so you’ll have to take my word.


I was crushingly disappointed this year when J and I realised we weren’t able to travel anywhere for turkey day. We still have no car, the train was sold out and the bus just wasn’t an option to travel to my mother in laws house.


But we made the best. It was beautiful, low on stress, full of love and full of happiness.


We planned it as well as we could. I made cinnamon rolls for breakfast and then while we watched the parade we drank hot cocoa with “Christmas” marshmallows and played games. J and Sam played risk and Sam had the utmost delight at winning! Molly and Joe enjoyed playing their own version of candy land. It was such a relaxing morning and it was wonderful to take a nap!


J made the turkey and stuffing and I worked around him to make mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, pink stuff and olives. The kids were thrilled to drink sparkling apple cider out of real wine glasses and Molly enjoyed that time-old tradition of stuffing her fingers into olives. Lucy really enjoyed the fire and kept walking much too close to look in. Sam declared it “The Best DayEvar!” after bowls of ice cream.


Sure, this wasn’t what we had planned and it was hard not to be with our families. It was sad that when we tried to skype my Dad the laptop just wouldn’t co-operate. This guy is on his last leg! We didn’t plan our turkey to be done an hour early but we didn’t mind the chilled turkey. J was so wonderful, helping remind me to just relax, it is what we make it, it’s all about our perspective and occasionally spelling out  P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E with a smile.


I’m so thankful for him, for our beautiful children. Sam read spider man to us for over half an hour tonight and I just soaked up the atmosphere. I am truly thankful for where we are right now, our life is so blessed.




Comments