Thanks for taking the time to read me!


"The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson."
-Tom Bodett


My name is Kait, I am a 23 year old mother of 4. My children are age 5 and under and yes - we have a busy house! I'm starting this blog so it can keep me accountable and consistent with our learning journey. I say "our" because I have no idea what I'm doing!


Okay, "no idea" is a bit drastic, but when I think of the responsibility I am taking on; homeschooling these little ones who society will expect to be functioning adults one day, sends me into a mild panic. Am I doing the right thing? Would public school send them into the world more informed than if they were home?" and then I feel this calm settle over me and my reasoning kicks in. Think about this; if you had to have 40 children memorize a poem in public school I can imagine it would take quite some time to get all the children quiet, to get them to turn on their listening ears and to concentrate on the words and then after all that, for them to practice it. I feel like homeschooling is much


more gentle, caring and loving. I would sit down at our dinning room table in an atmosphere in which my son is already accustomed to and we would begin the memorization very slowly without interruption. Oh but I've forgotten, I do have 3 other children and for that reason I feel that non traditional learning will suite our family very well!


I do not have any sort of an educational diploma, no formal training or certificates of accomplishment. I've never even gone t


o public school; but maybe that is where I do get some sort of knowledge on the subject.


I was home schooled. My childhood was not what anyone would call typical. At age 4, my Father, who was at the time an ordained minister was sent out from our home church in Spokane Washington to Japan to be a missionary and to help the seed church there. To make a living my parents taught English classes and eventually opened an English School with over 100 students. We lived in Japan until I was 13 at which time we moved back to the U.S. My actual education I feel was greatly lacking and although I used to blame my Mother, I really don't anymore. I look back on all the things I learned and all the experiences I had and the memories tug at my heart. What other 9 year old has played baseball in the Imperial Gardens? What other 7 year old has been to Korea 3 times? I am fluent in Japanese and English - will I incorporate this into my children's education? Probably not. I do not see Japanese as a high demand language as I'd say a large percentage speaks English to begin with.


But I do plan on incorporating things I have learned, seen and experienced into our lesson plans.


While I do not claim to know much about Montessori, my goal is to also uses bits and pieces of it to further along their learning. I love to think of my children's education to be fun, I did not enjoy learning, or sitting for hours staring at a work book I hardly understood. I hope that their "workbook" learning will be limited and instead we will learn through experimenting life.


My hope for this blog, as I've said is to keep me accountable and so that on those days I'd rather go about doing useless tasks I will remember that somewhere in internet world SOMEONE is waiting to hear about my day and what we've been working on.


I will be attempting to post most, if not all days. I will attempt to site my work and not be an idea thief. I will also attempt to have fun.

Comments